Patients used to be led by doctors, but now taking initiative and being prepared is essential to a collaborative patient-doctor partnership. Although discussing sensitive topics can be difficult, the relationship you have with your doctor is one of the most important aspects of receiving good health care. It's easy to develop a plan to make the most of your visit.
What your plan should include:
1. A list of your symptoms – write them down as you experience them and be specific
2. Your medications – this includes any prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, herbal remedies, supplements, laxatives, and eye drops.
3. List of habits or life changes – such as use of assistive devices like canes, walkers or scooters.
Use your time wisely:
1. Rank your list of concerns and questions by importance – talk about and rank your top three or four concerns or questions first.
2. Be honest with your doctor – avoid telling your doctor exactly what they want to hear and don't be afraid to tell the truth even if it's embarrassing.
3. Remember, your doctor may not be able to answer all your questions – if they don't know the answer, they will help refer you to another doctor or specialist who does.
Don't be afraid to ask your doctor questions
When you don't know the meaning of a word, or can't read your doctors handwriting, ask them to be more clear and concise. Working as a team with you doctor could lead to diagnosing ailments faster, regaining strength sooner, and being healthier on your terms.
Questions to ask in the event of a hospital or ER visit:
1. How long do you think I will be in the hospital?
2. What doctors and other medical staff will take care of my health?
3. When will I see my doctor?
4. What will be my daily schedule during my hospital stay?
About Golden Outlook:
The best way to find the right Medicare health plan is to work directly with a local Golden Outlook Agent. We’re all about giving you options, answering your questions about Medicare plans and finding the Medicare plan that is best for you. With those options comes information. Your local licensed insurance agent can provide you with educational content on a variety of Medicare topics that are important to you. How do you pick the right plan? When is the enrollment period? Whatever questions you may have, you can count on your local Golden Outlook Agent to provide you with answers that make sense. Our Golden Outlook agents reaches thousands of people in Texas, Florida, New Mexico, California, Nevada and Arizona.
You are leaving GoldenOutlook.com and are being redirected to:
If you are not redirected in 8 seconds, click here.